HOW TO SELL A HOUSE QUICKLY POST LOCKDOWN
While in the Covid-19 Lockdown, you may be thinking about how you can sell a house quickly when the Alert Level allows for this to occur. Here at Agent Finder NZ we can help you take action now, to be well prepared for that day with a plan. Everything you will need for that plan is here.
PLAN NOW TO ACHIEVE A QUICK SALE POST-LOCKDOWN
To help sell a house quickly in New Zealand, there is a specific process to follow that will protect you from a slow or aborted sale, having to settle for a lower price or poor real estate service.
Focusing on home presentation, property appraisals, real estate agents, methods of sales and home values along with your positive mindset will set you up for the best result. And that's just to get you started.
Our step by step approach has helped many home sellers throughout the country survive the most difficult of markets over the last 10 years, both in getting an optimum price and in the time it takes to sell.
If you've decided to move quickly post-lockdown, there is no more important time than now to get started. But in these unusual times you may have many questions.
WILL THERE BE ANY HOME BUYERS POST LOCKDOWN? THE ANSWER IS YES
As a result of Covid-19, we will likely see people moving to be closer to family or friends. Furthermore, the reality of working remotely has proven to many that you don't have to live in a specific location to derive an income from that location.
In coming months, financial circumstances will change, there will be downsizers, upsizers and people wanting to relocate or cash up investment properties. Families may want to keep their elderly close as they are wanting to do in the lockdown because the epidemic is likely to cause ongoing uncertainty. The variation of circumstances will be many and there will be buyers selling and sellers buying.
Although these are worrying times, being forearmed with knowledge about what's involved and what to pay particular attention to will certainly place you in a far better position when the stops come off.
If you need help, call Trish Willis on freephone 0800 789 532 any time.
PLAN NOW TO SELL YOUR HOUSE QUICKLY POST-LOCKDOWN
While our core of our service here at Agent Finder NZ is to vet real estate agents, there is more to it than this. A decade of service has proven that arming our clients with vital resources that stepped them through the process in addition, has certainly been a game changer in terms of experience and results. This has brought much relief, convenience and time saved for many Kiwis over the last 10 years. We know this because of all the great testimonials we get.
By following the step by step process below, you too will be in the best possible position to move when the time comes.
1. START HOME STAGING YOUR PROPERTY USING YOUR EXISTING FURNISHINGS
Real estate agents have consistently reported over the years that home staging a house with existing OR hired furniture can add 10-15% onto the sale price. In a depressed market it can mean ensuring your house gets sold at all for a price you are happy to accept.
We know from the success of previous clients that if you imagine the Queen is coming to visit you will see clearly what you need to change in terms of decluttering and arranging your furnishings. You don't need to live in Remuera - home staging any house no matter how humble is a no-brainer because buyers are drawn to beautifully presented homes in all price ranges.
Start your assessment of your home from the kerbside and work your way into the house. Keep perfecting what you do - it costs nothing and kills time during lock-down!
If you need help email images of your rooms and we can advise remotely at no cost.
2. REQUEST A SHORTLIST OF VETTED REAL ESTATE AGENTS TO REVIEW
It is relatively easy to become a real estate agent in New Zealand so here at Agent Finder NZ we have taken choosing an agent to another level by using a set of criteria to vet and establish competent real estate agents tailored to you, your location and property type. It's about risk management.
To ensure you are ready when Covid-19 constraints are lifted, we can provide you with the following now, all at no cost:
- A shortlist of vetted real estate agents to mull over while you have the time
- Advice about what to look out for and what to avoid in real estate appraisals
- Auctions are an unlikely method of sale for a while but there are other options to consider such as tender, deadline sale or priced.
- Advice about negotiating real estate fees and commission
- You will receive our Questions to Ask A Real Estate Agent kit to establish their suitability for your property
- Quick Links to the most reputable inter-agency due diligence resources on tax, legal advice, title documents, building inspections and valuations
- Real Estate Industry guides about signing agency agreements and sale and purchase contracts that protect you
Request An Shortlist Of Agents Now or call 0800 789 532 for help
3. GET YOUR REAL ESTATE ADMINISTRATION STARTED - THERE'S PLENTY TO GET SORTED DURING LOCKDOWN
There is plenty of administration to do now and be ready post-lockdown. Having us on board to vet and shortlist real estate agents objectively for you frees up your time to sort all your real estate administration including:
- Collating all your legal documents, council property information, titles, easements, covenants, plans and maps
- Making sure your sale will comply with Government Covid-19 requirements around mobility
- Learning about the different methods of sale you can choose from
- Finding out if you will need to pay tax
- Brainstorming the features of your property so your real estate agent can move swiftly with the advertising and marketing plan
4. FINDING OUT HOW MUCH YOUR HOUSE IS WORTH WHILE IN LOCKDOWN
- Once you have decided on the real estate agent most qualified to sell your house in the Covid-19 environment with its different Alert levels, you will be able to get an indicative value of your house with a virtual real estate appraisal in the interim.
We cannot stress highly enough that the real estate agent you choose will determine the fate of your sale. Use Agent Finder NZ's expertise to help you.
5. WHAT TO FOCUS ON POST LOCKDOWN BUT PREPARE FOR NOW
- Once the Level 4 Alert Level is lifted, it may be possible for real estate agents to physically appraise your property. However, how appraisals will be safely conducted in the Covid-19 environment is yet to be determined by the Government. It may mean protective equipment or just social distancing and constant handwashing!
- The same restrictions will likely apply to Property Valuers, Property Inspectors and other Property Specialists.
- If you have unfinished jobs, repairs or maintenance that needs doing, you may need to find tradesmen and perhaps book them in advance so they are ready to go. We have a database of good tradespeople in the Wise Up NZ Directory.
- Also familiarise yourself with New Zealand DIY rules that you need to be aware of if doing jobs yourself. This is vitally important as it may affect your insurance cover.
- You can do research on moving services and start getting quotes in.
- With continuing mobility restrictions, there will likely be a need for new conditions of sale and settlement. We advise you to take legal advice about this prior to signing any contract. It will pay to use a Property Lawyer for this. You can find a suitable lawyer here.
Agent Finder NZ has over a decade in this ever-changing industry giving free support and advice to people under pressure on how to sell their house quickly. Agent Finder NZ was founded in 2009 specifically to help home sellers to raise their expectations and find the superior real estate services that can achieve better results when selling their biggest asset - their home, apartment, investment property or lifestyle block.
We are continuing to work remotely during the Covid-19 Lockdown and currently operating 7 days so feel welcome to get in touch by sending an enquiry, an email or call 0800 789 532 anytime. Or Request A Shortlist of Vetted Real Estate Agents to compare first.
Many people tell us "I wish I'd found your service last time I sold a house", so make sure you get all the Free help and advice you need from us.
Other popular pages:
- How much commission should I pay?
- Why is Agent Finder a free service?
- Sell for more with multiple offers
Article Updated March, 2020 | Trish Willis