HOW TO SELL A HOUSE QUICKLY
The best way to sell your house quickly is to follow the four key steps below. Together they will create a higher volume of buyer enquiries - from day one live online.
This will generate buyer competition and a sense of urgency among buyers which will convert into multiple offers. It also aids upward negotiation rather than downward.
As a home seller, this is the ultimate position to be in and often results in record-breaking sale prices - faster than usual.
Our advice has consistently helped many houses sell in half the average timeframes for 10 years.
1. Choose your real estate agent objectively
A quick house sale at a prime sale price demands real estate agent competence, tenacity, integrity, attention to detail and dedication. A professional who does not take their eye of the ball at any stage for the duration of your property listing.
This is not the time to 'give someone a go' at selling your house. There is too much at stake.
Why agent tenacity and attention to detail matters
Once a sale and purchase agreement is signed, the period between that date and the unconditional date is often the most demanding part of the process for a real estate agent. Not all agents can manage this effectively when the going gets tough - which it often does. If conditions are not met within the timeframe, the sale can 'fall over'.
Choosing a real estate agent objectively from a vetted shortlist who has met a stringent criteria will help you sell your house more quickly. This is something we can help you with.
We have a lot of experience vetting real estate agents, and gained a lot of knowledge doing so for 10+ years. We know what to look for and what to avoid in an agent - and what resources you'll need to get your house sold fast.
Your shortlist will also include the following advice and resources, to help sell your house quickly and diligently:
- Advice about what to expect and what to avoid in real estate appraisals and marketing plans.
- Advice about methods of sale options which will differ in effectiveness for locations, price ranges and property types.
- Advice about how much it costs to sell a house which includes tips for negotiating real estate fees and commision
- Questions To Ask A Real Estate Agent to establish their suitability for you and your property in the timeframe.
- Quick links to Government and non-Government resources pertaining to property tax, legal advice, title documents, building inspections and property valuations if you need them.
- Real estate guides about signing agency agreements, sale and purchase contracts and approving your marketing plan
We cannot stress highly enough that the real estate agent you choose will determine how quickly you can sell, the price and overall experience.
We can provide all this expertly and quickly, so you can focus on Decisions 2-5 below.
2. Have property documents ready
A fast house sale means having important documents ready up-front to prevent time delays following buyer inquiries.
Just as importantly, it can prevent conditions being added to sale and purchase agreements which can slow sales down by weeks.
What documents to start collating if you can:
- All legal documents such as council property information, insurances, titles, easements, covenants, plans and maps.
- If you are selling a lifestyle block you may have water bores, survey plans, council developments plans and shared entranceways.
- If selling an apartment, you will require minutes of meetings from bodies corporate or other management structures.
- Anti-Money Laundering documentation will be provided by your chosen real estate agent for signing at the same time as your agency agreement to list your house for sale. This is very straight forward.
- Property valuations and building inspections can provide real estate agents with leverage when negotiating a sale price. These can be carried out under Alert Level 3.
If you can't find everything you need, don't worry - we can direct you to the right sources if needed.
A property information pack will pre-empt buyer questions, satsifying their need for detail quickly, when their interest is at its peak
3. Agree the house sale price range with your real estate agent first
Real estate agents are required to enter a price range into websites so your property will show up to buyers searching within that range and location. This should be agreed and not assumed.
To get this right, a comparative market appraisal is conducted by your real estate agent which is primarily based on recent historical sales for similar properties in your location and applied to current market conditions.
But most people know that many real estate agents will over-estimate a property's worth to gain your listing, then start reducing the price. This is why choosing your agent objectively is so important.
Incorrectly priced properties at the outset, have proven to delay the speed of property sales. Many wont sell and conflict between a vendor and their real estate agent is inevitable.
The good news is, prior to Covid-19, the property market was in a strong position. There is no evidence as yet, of reduced sale prices as a result of Covid-19 but will likely be evident in the latter half of 2020.
- The REINZ March 2020 reported that New Zealand and eight regions achieved record average median sale prices. In its February report, the overall NZ house price increase was the largest in 53 months.
- Will delaying going to market reduce your return? Think this through carefully.
If you would like information about what houses have been selling for in your area, please just ask - we're happy to email that to you.
4. Completed repairs and maintenance + home styling helps sell faster
Most home buyers will request a building inspection and any issues that need addressing will affect how quickly you can sell your house.
Having R & M jobs done prior to going live online can prevent the need for sale and purchase conditions and issues showing up in building inpections - these can create time delays or turn buyers off because another house was better.
With regards to home styling, real estate agents have consistently reported over the years that home staging a house with existing or hired furniture can add 10-15% onto a sale price.
In a stable real estate market, it has proven to help sell houses in half the average timeframe expected. In a depressed market, it can mean ensuring your house gets sold.
Doing your own styling costs next to nothing and can make a significant impact on the quantity of online viewers - your potential buyers and how quickly your house might sell..
Kitchen and bathroom repairs, maintenance, painting, organising and cleaning will not only help maximise value but decrease the chances of buyers needing conditions to be met which can slow things down.
Home Staging combined with R&M will help sell your house more quickly
Many people tell us "I wish I'd found your service last time I sold a house", so make sure you get all the Free help and advice you need from us.
Article updated July 10, 2020 | Trish Willis